What is Happiness?
It’s a simple question really. What is happiness? According to dictionary.com happy (adjective) 1. is feeling or showing pleasure or contentment 2. fortunate and convenient.
Each person has a very different answer to this question and we all come from different backgrounds, cultures and upbringings so happiness can be gained different ways by different people in the office. Business Collective has a great article on ways to increase your happiness at work here.
According to PEW Research Center millennials make up the largest generation in the workforce. http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/05/11/millennials-surpass-gen-xers-as-the-largest-generation-in-u-s-labor-force/
More millennials are being hired at companies and they want different things than your GenXers and Baby Boomers want. How do you keep them all happy? If you are an employer there are several different ways you can incorporate happiness within the workplace.
Try many different things and see what works and what doesn’t. Remember no matter what you do there are always skeptics out there too. Sometimes there’s someone who doesn’t want to do anything you mention, no matter what it is, and maybe with increasing workplace happiness they will improve their mindset or you may see that they do not align with your company culture after all. There are some tips we developed that will help when you are trying to incorporate happiness in the workplace.
When choosing an activity ask…
- Did they learn something?
- Did some or all of your team try something for the first time?
– When you try new things you overcome barriers in your head. For instance, “I’ve never done this before, can I do this?” “I don’t know how to do this, how will I figure this out?” When they attempt and complete these kinds of challenges they gain confidence, problem solving skills, and positive mental health.
- Did they get to know their team better?
- Do you notice a positive effect after they return to the office?
- Last but most importantly, did they have fun? That is a key ingredient to happiness.
If you’re struggling to figure out what your team wants you should ask them! What do they do for fun? What makes them happy? If you have hundreds of employees get with your managers of departments and have them to ask their team what they like to do for fun and what makes them happy. It’s not all about buying them tickets to a local basketball game, or having t-shirt or beer Fridays. You need to get much more creative if you want to recruit talented individuals, retain your current employees, keep them happy and in turn grow your business.
Good luck with your workplace happiness! Let us know what kinds of things you have done at your office to keep your employees happy, we’d love to hear from you!
Hugging trees makes us feel happy!
Have an adventurous day!
DNK Presents…your next great adventure